JOB POSTING: Education Coordinator
The position of Education Coordinator at the CVA is an important job! As a non-profit, the CVA relies heavily on our high quality, engaging educational programming in the visual arts for revenue. The Education Coordinator hires, trains, leads, and coaches instructors in three program areas that are essential to the CVA’s mission: 1) Art in the Afternoon, our after-school art-based childcare program; 2) Summer Art Camps that run from June – August each year; and 3) the Pottery and Ceramics Studio program, which runs year-round. The individual who will succeed and thrive in this role is an experienced elementary educator; an excellent collaborator; an organized time and resource manager; and an individual committed to customer service.
On a typical day as Education Coordinator at CVA, you might be:
- Planning a training session for instructors and volunteers
- Setting up registration for camps or classes in our registration system, Wild Apricot
- Collaborating with other CVA staff to develop educational content related to the exhibition currently on view in the CVA gallery
- Creating an email newsletter to send to after-school students’ families
- Consulting with an instructor about changes they have proposed to classroom curriculum
- Interviewing and/or coaching instructors
- Speaking with a parent about challenges a student faces and how to address them
Because we are a small, local organization, there are times the Education Coordinator may also be called upon to work from our gallery front desk or assist with planning and organizing for projects like CVA’s fundraisers and the end of summer camp student exhibition.
The Education Coordinator reports to the Director of Operations, and along with the CVA’s Art+Community Coordinator, is part of the CVA’s core management team. The Education Coordinator leads a team of three after-school instructors, a pottery studio manager and instructors, and 8-12 summer camp instructors (seasonally), as well as a group of summer camp volunteers (most high school aged).
The Education Coordinator role is a 30 to 35-hour-per week position at present; however, the CVA’s goals are to increase the role to full time. The pay scale for this role is between $31,000 and $37,000 annually, depending on the candidate’s experience. We are not able to offer healthcare or retirement benefits at this time; however, we are able to provide paid vacation time (two weeks per year), a somewhat flexible schedule, and discounts on our classes, camps, and artwork for sale.
IS THIS POSITION FOR YOU?
It is if you know the importance of visual arts in our lives and communities and you are:
- Experienced at elementary education, from curriculum development to classroom management
- A quick, flexible thinker who’s interested in continual learning
- Organized about scheduling and time management (for yourself and others)
- A systems thinker who is able to see how pieces fit together into a whole
- A logical, clear communicator who can guide others toward common goals
- Someone who believes that children are developing humans who are fundamentally good and worthy of respect and care, and who knows (or is interested in learning) principles of Conscious Discipline
- Art-teaching experience is nice but not required; however, an interest in the visual arts and willingness to explore and learn is essential
1. If you are interested in applying, please send your resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 5, 2023.
2. If your application is moved through our initial screening, you’ll be informed and asked to complete an online assessment that helps us determine your interests and “fit” for our community.
3. Once you complete the assessment, you’ll be asked to meet with the current Education Coordinator and Director of Operations for a formal in-person interview.
4. The final candidate(s) will have an additional interview (virtual if necessary) with our full education team, and we’ll check your references.
5. We hope to offer the successful candidate the position by July 7, with a start date of July 17. The individual will have the chance to work with our current Education Coordinator for several weeks to learn the job.
At the CVA, we are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.